Rep. Castro Statement on the Administration’s Latest Tariffs Targeting Texas
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, Congressman Joaquin Castro (TX-20) released the following statement in response to the Trump Administration ramping up their reckless trade war and imposing sweeping tariffs that will have a direct and enormous impact on Texas.
“Texans do not want a reckless tariff war. President Trump said he “couldn’t care less” about higher prices. But these tariffs will lead to the biggest tax increase on everyday Texans in decades, and Republican leaders are refusing to stand against it,” said Congressman Joaquin Castro. “Texans will feel the adverse effects of this trade war in their jobs, taxes, and inflation on a daily basis. This is especially true for San Antonio.
“San Antonio is a strategic trade hub, and trade and exports underpin countless jobs in Texas. Governor Abbott's support for these massive tariffs threaten Texas businesses and the many people they employ. Texas desperately needs our Governor to demonstrate independence and a willingness to do what’s best for the people of Texas.”
Background:
On April 2nd, 2025, President Trump announced 10% tariffs on imports from effectively all countries, and even larger tariffs on certain countries. He has done so through the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA). IEEPA is a broad authority that has previously been used for sanctions. It hasn’t been used for tariffs until this year, when Trump imposed 25% tariffs on many imports from Mexico and Canada and 20% tariffs on imports from China on March 1, 2025. The consumer response to tariffs will be a combination of paying higher costs for imports, buying higher-cost U.S. goods, or simply not consuming the good anymore.