Military Academy Nominations
Thank you for your interest in the U.S. Service Academies. As your 20th District Representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, each year I have the privilege of nominating a limited number of people to four of the five service academies. The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. To apply, please review and complete my office's 2020 Applicaton Form. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
Nomination FAQ’S :
What is a Service Academy?
A service academy is a federal educational institution that prepares officers for our nation's Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Merchant Marines and Coast Guard.
How many Service Academies are in the U.S. and where are they Located?
There are five U.S. Service Academies:
- The U.S. Military Academy (USMA) at West Point, NY
- The U.S. Naval Academy (USNA) at Annapolis, MD
- The U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA) at Colorado Springs, CO
- The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA) at Kings Point, NY
- The U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA) at New London, CT
What is a Nomination?
A nomination is a selection made by one of the
following authorized sources:
Congressional nominations include selections made by:
- The Vice-President, who nominates candidates from any part of the nation,
- U.S. Senators, who nominate candidates from their entire state. You can apply for a nomination with both of them.
- U.S. Representatives, who nominate candidates that reside within their Congressional District.
Can I apply for a nomination from more than one source?
Yes. In fact it is encouraged! Because the nomination and appointment process is competitive you should seek all the nominations for which you are eligible. Every candidate is eligible for the four congressional nominations – one from the Vice-President’s Office , one from each U.S. Texas Senator, and one from Congressman Joaquin Castro.
When should I apply for a nomination?
You may apply anytime starting January of your junior year of high school until fall of your senior year. The deadline for my office is usually the last Friday of October. Typically people apply their senior year, but you may also apply after you graduate from high school, as long as you meet the basic eligibility requirements.
Are you Eligible to Apply?
To be eligible for nomination, you must meet the requirements as of July 1st of the year of admission to an academy:
- You must be between the ages of 17 - 23 years old.
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- You must be unmarried and without legal obligation to support children or other dependents.
- You must reside within the legal boundaries of the 20th Congressional District of Texas if you are applying for a nomination from Congressman Castro.
Important Dates to Remember:
- Congressional Nomination Application is due the last Friday of October: October 25, 2019.
- Interviews with our nomination panel will be conducted in early December.
- Nominations will be announced no later than January 31st.
Remember that you must also apply with your prospective Service Academy in order to be eligible for a nomination. Be aware of their application deadlines. You can visit each academy website for more information.
U.S. Naval Academy - www.usna.edu
U.S. Military Academy - www.usma.edu
U.S. Air Force Academy - www.usafa.edu
U.S. Merchant Marine - www.usmma.edu
U.S. Coast Guard Academy – www.uscga.edu